Youth activities and experiences highlight Quicken Loans National
Golf isn’t just a grownup’s game. At the 2017 Quicken Loans National, young fans will get a unique experience both on and off the course. There’s sure to be an activity for all ages at TPC Potomac this summer.
No cost for entry!
For kids 12 years old and younger, the Quicken Loans National offers complimentary grounds tickets. Complimentary youth tickets can be picked up at the Quicken Loans National box office, located at the Main Entrance, when accompanied by a ticketed adult. For youth ages 13-17, grounds tickets can be purchased at a discounted rate at the box office. Discounted Rocket Mortgage MadHouse tickets can also be purchased at the box office for kids ages 12 and younger.
NEW in 2017, Kids Village is a destination for young fans and families to share a memorable experience while taking a break throughout the day. Located between The Yard and 16 green, Kids Village will feature mini golf, interactive games and activities tailored for the younger crowd. Face painters, caricature artists and mascot appearances will provide a nice break in the action.
TGR Learning Lab Youth Activity Zone
A cornerstone activity within Kids Village, the TGR Learning Lab Youth Activity Zone will feature six stations highlighting the Tiger Woods Foundation’s core curriculum. Learn more about the four pillars of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) and the college access programs of the Tiger Woods Foundation. Check out the full list of activities in-store.
- Activity 1: Tinkering Table – Do you know how electricity flows to everyday items like lights, TVs and computers? Through three different circuitry challenges, participants will tinker with a set of supplies while using exploratory and investigative learning to figure out how to create electrical paths.
- Activity 2: Light It Up – Try your hand at lighting up a LED bulb using only a coin battery! In this activity, participants will not only learn about circuitry, but they’ll leave with their very own, working 3D printed mini flashlight!
- Activity 3: Tower Challenge – Learn about the engineering that goes into making tall buildings stand up and stand out. Using wooden cubes, craft sticks and plastic cups, engineers-in-training are tasked with building a freestanding tower. The tallest tower wins—prizes will be awarded daily at 2pm!
- Activity 4: Buoyancy Challenge – Can you keep your boat afloat? Through examining the engineering design process, visitors will construct a floating craft out of aluminum foil. The structure that can carry the most pennies before sinking will take the daily prize!
- Activity 5: College Blueprint – With so many colleges to choose from, finding the “right fit” can be a daunting challenge. With our new Campus Culture Quiz, developed in partnership with Discovery Education and readily available on TGREDUExplore.org, students can use augmented reality software (AR) to explore campus life at schools across the US.
- Activity 6: Discovering Pi – Through this hands-on activity, participants will figure out how Pi is derived by measuring the circumference and diameter of a number of circular objects. There may or may not be actual pie involved—you’ll have to swing by to find out!
The TGR Learning Lab Youth Activity Zone is the perfect break from the action on course for the entire family. The TGR Learning Lab will be open from Wednesday from 12-3 p.m. and Thursday through Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
All kids are invited to attend the Junior Clinic on Wednesday, June 28 from 2 – 3 p.m. A perfect experience for the junior golfer looking to sharpen their skills or those just getting introduced to the basics, this free interactive clinic and exhibition will take place on the driving range and feature a PGA TOUR professional.
Seeing over the crowd can be difficult so be sure to visit each of the youth viewing zones. Watching the rising stars on the PGA TOUR in action is now much easier for young fans. Open to kids 12 and younger, youth viewing zones are located at the driving range, 3 green, 17 green and The Yard viewing platform on 18 fairway.
The Quicken Loans National’s commitment to youth programming and activities stems from the Tiger Woods Foundation, the primary charity beneficiary of the tournament. For more than 20 years, the Tiger Woods Foundation has been supporting and empowering youth through education, scholarship, after school programs and more. Learn more about the Tiger Woods Foundation at tigerwoodsfoundation.org.